- Identify your anniversary date and let everyone know how old your business is. This gives you something fun do once a year. And, it shows credibility and stability. When you've been in business for 40 years and have 354 employees, like EMW Industrial, you've helped a lot of companies feed the world. That's a great message to share with the market.
- Hold a party and share stories. Another client, MuniSoft, holds an Annual General Meeting and brings everyone together from across the country for training and team building. They have a great culture and a great business.
- Ask your leadership team, individually and as a group, what their biggest accomplishments and learnings were from the last year. Their answers may surprise you.
- Drill deep to discover the experiences gained and lessons learned in the past. This helps you codify and share the lessons throughout your company. And it helps to prevent repeating the mistakes. (New ones are much more interesting!)
- Celebrate the mistakes and new perspectives gained. Your employees will take chances and not hide information from you.
- Try new things that might delight your customers. Just don't bet the farm. This is strategy at its best. Protect and strengthen your core while developing new valuable offerings for your best customers.
- Prepare an annual report. You can share whatever financial information (or none) that you want. You can talk about your strengths, industries served, strategies, risks, and goals. In other words, run your private business like a public company. That will strengthen your credibility with your shareholders and partners.
- Blow your own horn. If you don't, how will we know how great you are?
The Human Sphere is a business growth, leadership development consultancy that partners w/ senior leadership to increase profits through human-centric, results-based leadership Learn more here